Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Runny, Stuffy and Yucky

Yup, the sick bug has hit our house. Last week Tanner's nose started to run and I thought, oh no... here it comes. Gratefully his never got any worse. But I had been fighting a sore throat for about a week and I guess whatever Tanner had was enough to throw me over the edge. This weekend I became full on sick. Yuck. And of course Grandma was here, which is always a bummer to be sick when Grandma is here. This is one of those head colds that make you feel like you're constantly underwater with all the other fun side effects of a common cold. Oh I hate being sick. Someone told me it should be a rule that you can't get sick while you're pregnant and I totally agree. Can someone work on getting that rule into effect?

But even with the gross runny, stuffy, yucky bug-o that I have I can't stop the fact that it's ALMOST OCTOBER!!! I can't believe it. So, time for some fun Halloween crafts. Ty came home with a cute fall leaf from preschool this week which reminded me that we need some new decor for the holidays. My mom found the perfect costumes for the boys a week or so ago so now it's time for all the pumpkin fun. I'm not a huge holiday decorator, but I just love the colors of fall and there are so many creative fun things you can do.

I found these super cute and crafty treat ideas off parents.com I can't wait to try them out.

Witch Cupcakes
Ingredients
1-1/2 cups chocolate frosting
1 package (4-3/4 ounces chocolate cones (Nabisco Oreo Cones)
Orange nonpareils
1 can (16 ounces) vanilla frosting, divided
Neon-green food coloring
12 cupcakes, removed from paper liners
Chocolate chips
Green and red tube icing
Mike and Ike Tangy Twister candies
Chocolate Jimmies
Directions
1. Place chocolate frosting in a freezer-weight zip-top bag and snip off a small corner. Pipe base of cones, dip in orange nonpareils, and set aside.
2. Place 1/2 cup vanilla frosting in a another zip-top bag and snip off a small corner. Tint remaining frosting green and frost cupcakes.
3. Turn cupcakes on sides, then place decorated cones on top. Using vanilla frosting, pipe eyes on cupcakes. Attach chocolate chips for pupils and pipe a dot onto chips. Use red icing for mouths, green icing for warts; shape candies into noses. Pipe chocolate icing onto cupcakes for hair and sprinkle with chocolate jimmies.

Monster Mash-Mallows
Ingredients
1/4 cup green melting wafers
1 cup orange melting wafers
1 cup purple melting wafers
Lollipop sticks
24 large marshmallows
Sprinkles, candy corn, and candy icing decorations
1/4 cup chocolate chips, melted
Directions
1. Place melting wafers in separte small bowls. Microwave for 15-second intervals, stirring in between, until melted. Insert one end of lollipop sticks into melted green wafers. Push green-colored end of each stick into a marshmallow. Let set 3 minutes.
2. Dunk marshmallows into orange or purple melted wafers, shaking off any excess coating. Place on a sheet of wax paper, and top with assorted sprinkles or decorations.
3. To make faces, place melted chocolate in a resealable plastic bag, and snip off one tiny corner. Pipe face designs onto marshmallows.


I'll wait until I'm not sick to make them and then you can come on over and try them out:)

2 comments:

Jaye said...

The women who I use to nanny for gets every single cooking magazine ever made...
On the witch cupcakes one of the magazines used black licorice as the witch's hair. The 'pull & peel' kind. It looks SO cute.

Michal said...

you are such a fun mom. i rarely do those kind of things with my boys, and they love it so. those witch cupcakes are a-dorable.