Monday, December 29, 2008

Skating good time

To start off the Holiday week I took the boys ice skating with Ty's preschool a week before Christmas. I was worried about getting Ty there with the other two little ones. Ty went skating last year and I was pretty sure he could manage by himself while I sat on the side with Austin, but what to do about Tanner? A few other moms from school said they would be happy to help with Tanner and after a few failed attempts at getting someone to watch him that morning, it was the only option. I warned the moms it might not be too fun, but everyone said they were good to go, so we went. Tyler was so excited about skating he stayed up until 11pm the night before. Tanner had no idea what he was in for, but he's always up for something new.

We arrived at the ice rink in the morning with everyone bundled up tightly. I had forgotten just how cold it was in there. I know that seems like a no brainer- with it being an ice rink and all, but it was still a little shocking stepping inside, and I'm sure it doesn't help that I prefer not to be in an area that is less than about 65 degrees and 75% is optimal. But regardless of the cold the boys jump into the rink. The rink has these cool walker type things for kids, and adults to grab onto. Ty grabbed one and was off flying with no fear, which is unusual for Ty. He is my cautious boy, always testing the water before diving in. But he proved me wrong and headed straight across the ice to the huge pile of snow they had in the corner. He stopped off there and made a ton of snow balls with his friends.

Tanner wasn't as speedy getting on to the ice. While he was super determined to get out there with his brother and friends, he couldn't figure out how to keep his feet under him. Gratefully my friends jumped in and grabbed him. It took him a little bit to get the hang of it, but not too long after that he was off skating. Actually I was super surprised at his balance. It was incredible considering he is 2.5. About half way into the morning he could grab onto the walker thing and skate across the floor. It was really amazing to watch and I was a proud mama. He also had a great time on the sled the gals rented. I loved this picture of him sitting with the two girls and Erin pushing them all.

By the time I took Tanner off the ice his feet had gotten so cold they were bright red and he was in tears, but after we warmed them up he was all smiles again. Austin did great too. He napped for 85% of the trip and the other half he gladly hung out in other mom's arms. He is such a perfect little baby.

The only bad part about the trip was that now when the kids drive by the rink and they beg to go in. They had so much fun, I can't wait for next year when Tanner gets to go his his preschool class.

No comments: