Monday, August 29, 2011

Snickerdoodle cupcakes

Some people like to cook, some like to bake, some just like to eat. Me personally, I like the last two the best. Baking is so much fun for me, and who doesn't like a sweet treat now and then. The funny part is, I actually don't particularly love sweets, and I don't like chocolate at all unless it is lightly tucked inside a chocolate chip cookie, but I love making desserts of all kinds. Weird, I know, but if that shocks you then we need to get to know each other better.

So as I am starting my latest collection of family favorites I thought I would share with you the creations and if they look good maybe you can make them for your family. To encourage this endeavor I have requested to be in charge of Sunday night dessert for my family (including my parents) so hopefully for their sakes I can whip up some yummy and edible treats.

After wrapping up a way to long (and by to long I mean more than a day) of eating healthfully, cutting out the good stuff like carbs and sweets, I decided it was time to indulge. While I was being health I missed 2 awesome deals at my favorite cupcake shop in town so I tried to make up for it on my own here at home. Out came the mixer and spices and I picked out a nice fluffy looking cupcake, the Snickerdoodle cupcake.
As they started to bake, the house filled with that sweet smell of cake and cinnamon, something it had been missing for far to long. Yum!
Now for the BEST part, the frosting. I saw people suggested various kinds of frosting online to top these light pieces of heaven, but I went with my favorite, cream-cheese frosting, and added a a twist.

Yep, perfection. Eric, who really likes being in the kitchen with me grabbed the icing bag and asked to do the honors of topping the cakes. He piled on that cream with easy and with a pinch of cinnamon sugar on top from me they were complete.
And yes, they tasted as good as they sound. I was only going to have one being mindful of all the hard work I had done on my "diet" but before I went to bed I had eaten 3. Don't tell Eric though, he thought I only had 2!

I saw this recipe as I was searching around online from Bakerella who always has great ideas like this Snickerdoodle-Duo I am excited to try! What could be better than a stack of snickerdoodle? I really can't think of any. I might even have to try it tonight if I think I can have a little better self control. Reviews coming soon!

Ingredients:

CAKE:
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups cake flour
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 Tablespoon ground cinnamon
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 3/4 cups sugar
4 large eggs, at room temperature
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups whole milk

ICING:
12 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 pound powdered sugar, sifted
2 Tablespoons brown sugar
1/2 Tablespoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

TOPPING:
2 Tablespoons sugar + 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 28 muffin tins with paper liners.

2. Sift together both flours, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.

3. In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating until each is incorporated, scraping down sides of bowl as needed. Beat in vanilla. Add the flour mixture in three parts, alternating with additions of milk, beating until combined after each addition.

4. Divide batter evenly among lined cups, filling each about 3/4 full. Bake about 20 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into the center of one of the cupcakes comes out clean. Remove to a wire rack to cool completely before icing.

5. Prepare frosting: In a medium bowl, use electric mixer to blend cream cheese and butter. Add sugars, vanilla and ground cinnamon. Spread onto cooled cupcakes, or scoop into piping bag and pipe on the frosting decoratively. Place sugar-cinnamon mixture in a fine sieve and tap it lightly over the cupcakes to give them a light sprinkle.

Tips:

*The cake part of the cupcakes can be stored up to 2 days at room temperature, or frozen up to 2 months in an airtight container.

Source: RecipeGirl.com -cake adapted from Martha Stewart

No comments: