Thursday, September 22, 2011

Lemon Blossoms and Is It Really Better Than Sex? Cake

I was laughing as I saw my last few posts today. A little hypocritical don't cha think? HA
It goes fitness/working out, desserts, fitness/working out, desserts, anyone else see the problem with the pattern? But that is my life right now, so why break the trend?

Last weekend I made TWO desserts because my mom needed one for a get together the following week and I didn't want to give her a dessert I hadn't tried before, so we used Sunday night as our taster night. I highly preferred one over the other, but again, I am not a great one to rate desserts, I just like to make them. Gosh- I am sounding weirder and weirder the more I write. Well on to the good stuff.


First up, Lemon Blossoms from my girl Paula Deen. Paula just knows how to make a good, not even a little bit healthy for you food of any kind. We share a love for butter. Butter makes everything better. Since these are chocolate free I can honestly say I really did enjoy them. I considered making full size cupcakes, but in the end went for the minis and I am so glad I did. Bite size is good because I don't feel ask guilty popping 6 into my mouth when I can do it in one bite. I think it would be a bit more socially awkward to be eating the same amount in full size. That's like what... 3 cupcakes regular size. Yup, something about 6 minis just seems more doable. Correction, 6 minis are do-able, I can confirm that from experience.


Just to keep in line with the fresh summer theme I grabbed another one of Ms. Deen's desserts. I went full cake on this one, no bite size fun for me. The name cracks me up because I can just see her saying it on her TV show in her long southern drawl that she does so perfectly. Is it really better than sex? cake was super simple to make and looked pretty too. We renamed it 'Is it really better than other cakes? cake, but still had all the same good stuff in it. The family really liked this one too. Personally it wasn't my favorite flavor combo, but I liked how light it was.

By the end of the night everyone was full and happy. But the dessert picked for my parents event the next night was the lemon blossoms. Either way, they both were great summer night desserts. Two thumbs up for Paula Deen!

Lemon Blossoms

Recipe courtesy Paula Deen


Ingredients

  • 18 1/2-ounce package yellow cake mix
  • 3 1/2-ounce package instant lemon pudding mix
  • 4 large eggs
  • 3/4 cup vegetable oil

Glaze:

  • 4 cups confectioners' sugar
  • 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
  • 1 lemon, zested
  • 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 3 tablespoons water

Directions

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Spray miniature muffin tins with vegetable oil cooking spray. Combine the cake mix, pudding mix, eggs and oil and blend well with an electric mixer until smooth, about 2 minutes. Pour a small amount of batter, filling each muffin tin half way. Bake for 12 minutes. Turn out onto a tea towel

To make the glaze, sift the sugar into a mixing bowl. Add the lemon juice, zest, oil, and 3 tablespoons water. Mix with a spoon until smooth.

With fingers, dip the cupcakes into the glaze while they're still warm, covering as much of the cake as possible, or spoon the glaze over the warm cupcakes, turning them to completely coat. Place on wire racks with waxed paper underneath to catch any drips. Let the glaze set thoroughly, about 1 hour, before storing in containers with tight-fitting lids.


Is It Really Better Than Sex? Cake

Recipe courtesy Paula Deen

Ingredients

  • 1 (18.25-ounce) box yellow cake mix, plus ingredients to prepare
  • 1 (20-ounce) can crushed pineapple
  • 1 1/3 cups sugar
  • 1 (3.4-ounce) box French vanilla pudding, plus ingredients to prepare
  • 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
  • 1 cup flaked, sweetened toasted coconut

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Prepare yellow cake mix as directed using a greased 13 by 9 by 2-inch pan and bake for 30 to 35 minutes. While cake is baking, combine the pineapple and 1 cup of sugar in a saucepan, and bring to a boil over medium heat stirring constantly. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.

Remove cake from oven and using a fork, pierce holes into cake. Pour pineapple mixture over hot cake and set aside.

Prepare pudding according to package directions. Spread pudding over cake and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled. Whip heavy cream and remaining sugar until stiff. Cover top of cake with whipped cream and sprinkle toasted coconut on top.

1 comment:

Jaye said...

Ha ha! Your post title cracked me up! I love it.

Thank you for sharing the recipes.