Tuesday, May 15, 2012

To Fold or To Hang?

True statement: I HATE LAUNDRY!!


I have never been good at doing laundry, ever! It dates back many many years as I remember when I was a little girl the "talks" I was given on a regular basis by my mother because my laundry basket would be full just one or two days after she had emptied it.  What can I say, I liked to change my outfits frequently (still do).  So at the young age of 8 I was told to slow down the wardrobe changes or washing my clothes would be my responsibility.  Needless to say, I started doing my own laundry at the age of 8.  Truly, the actual act of doing laundry was a snap.  I totally got the whole sorting colors and running of the machine, but then another problem smacked me in my face.  Putting the stinking clothes away. It coupled nicely with my previous problem of not putting the clothes back after finding the perfect outfit, and now I had all these freshly washed clothes I had to complete too. Ahhhh... see the problem??


Fast forward to today, these many many years later and guess what?  I STILL HATE LAUNDRY!!

Again, I have no problem physically getting them washed and dried, it is the stinking problem of f.... ffffool.....folding AND putting those clothes away.  Am I alone in this world of misery?  I just can't seem to kick the problem.  I know there has to be a solution out there.  There has to be some way, some system I haven't tried that will be like an answer from the laundry fairies making my life in laundry world blissful.

Here is a tip from a self proclaimed "lazy mom" about the sock problem many of us have. Each member of the family has a mesh lingerie laundry bag, and a hook. They put their dirty socks in the bag each night. Then when it's full, you wash the whole mesh zipped up bag, and give it back! No more sorting through and figuring out which socks are for which person!


Worth a try.  About a year ago I decided to buy only one brand of socks for the boys.  We went with Hanes and the reason was because they branded the bottom of each sock but changed to color of Hanes based on the size. So we could actually all have white socks, but on the bottom, Tanner's socks had a green Hanes, Tyler had a blue Hanes and Austin had a red.  It works for the most part, but somehow we still loss a lot of socks in between taking the dirty sock off of their feet to the point where we sort them.  Don't know where that little sock goes, but usually we are lucky if we get one from point A to point B let alone a pair!! I must have 100 sock thieves in my washer that are well dressed in a variety of socks from over the years!!




We have tried sorting baskets for the kids, scheduling laundry days, laundry purges, ignoring the laundry hoping it will just go away, and simply making the corner of my room the new designated closet for clean clothes and a common phase during that time was, 'go see if you can find one in the pile", not the most successful plan.  This summer one of the many goals that I will be putting together is getting a laundry plan in place the will work 100%, well heck, even 80% of the time would be AMAZING!


So wish me luck on the mound I have to tackle.  If you have any tips that have worked for you, please feel free to send them my way, I am open to try ANYTHING!!  Here's to folding laundry and all the other things we mothers do :)



No comments: